As technology changes, the creative engineering behind video marketing campaigns is evolving. Though some of the latest technology is making a splash in the marketing world, this means the first pioneers of the movement will set an ambitious standard for years to come.
1. Mobile advertising
The complete takeover of the cell phone in modern life has, unsurprisingly, led to a twenty percent overall increase in mobile ad spending in 2018, or 75 percent of all digital ad spending. 1 This coincides with a general trend in both shorter clips and ads intended for vertical viewing. With the prevalence of vertical video production kindled by platforms such as Instagram, overall expenditures on influencer marketing––brand spending on independently contracted users with large online followings––are now projected to reach $101 billion by the year 2020. 2 If your company’s target demographic overlaps with reliable users of social media,
The advent of the drone has proven to be an interactive method of familiarizing consumers with everything from live events to real estate and local tourism. User-controlled drones complement the rise of live streaming over social media for a fraction of the cost of renting helicopters, cranes, or full film crews.3 Consumer accessibility to 4k high-definition footage (four times as many pixels as 1080p) has made outstanding video quality attainable for commercial use. In line with the exponential growth in mobile ads, some drones need only be controlled by a smartphone and a Wifi or Bluetooth connection.4
3. Virtual/Augmented Reality
Virtual reality as a marketing tool is in its nascent stages, but several pioneering industries are beginning to make headway in the field. All Nippon Airways spearheaded a virtual reality tour of its new business class model cabin; the New York Times repurposed VR for storytelling purposes in taking readers through the spaces inhabited by children affected by war.5 Given that mobile phones are a much surer way to reach a viewer base than interactive walkthroughs that require specific software and headsets, these early experiments in interactive advertising have premiered at exhibitions and launch events.
4. Machine-learning algorithms: Consumer Voice
Intelligent algorithms operate in order to customize user experience. If you’ve ever shopped online while simultaneously using social media, you’ve likely already experienced digital marketing targeted towards your personal tastes; consumer voice-driven strategies are among the most recent algorithmic, data-collecting modes of personalizing user experience.
The bulk of voice-driven marketing results are borne out of Apple’s Siri, Amazon Alexa, and the approximately 3.5 billion daily queries made via Google voice searches. As an entrepreneur looking to make the best use of up-and-coming technology, “tailoring your SEO (search engine optimization) strategy for voice search” is one way to focus on conversational terms related to your products.6 For the right business models, voice-activated devices have the ability to actively improve customer experiences in real-time.
- Koetsier, John. “Mobile Advertising Will Drive 75% of All Digital Ad Spending in 2018.” Forbes, Consumer Tech. https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2018/02/23/mobile-advertising-will-drive-75-of-all-digital-ad-spend-in-2018-heres-whats-changing/#4c67c94c758b.
- Brito, Michael. “2018: The Year of Influencer Marketing for B2B Brands.” Marketing Land. https://marketingland.com/2018-the-year-of-influencer-marketing-for-b2b-brands-240357.
- Brown, Jack. “How Drones Will Revolutionize Marketing Practices.” Digital Doughnut. https://www.digitaldoughnut.com/articles/2017/march/how-drones-will-revolutionize-marketing-practices.
- Agrawal, AJ. “5 Ways Marketers Can Take Advantage of Drone Technology.” Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajagrawal/2017/06/10/5-ways-marketers-can-take-advantage-of-drone-technology/#3624b08458cc.
- “Best Uses of Virtual Reality VR Marketing.” Mbryonic. https://mbryonic.com/best-vr-marketing/.
- Katumba, Kag. “Marketing Technology Trends in 2019.” Smart Insights. https://www.smartinsights.com/managing-digital-marketing/marketing-innovation/marketing-technology-trends-in-2019/.